From the beginning of our relationship, we’ve both enjoyed learning from others what makes a marriage great. It is important to both of us that, not only do we avoid the alarming statistic of divorces, but cultivate a relationship that grows stronger with time.
There have been many books we’ve harvested wisdom, ideas, and laughter from. Some of our favorites are:
- The Holy Bible: God’s design for marriage is beautiful, strong, powerful, and amazing.
- The Five Love Languages: Insights on how to love someone in a way that communicates love. We’re thankful that both our primary love languages are quality time.
- Love & Respect: Most husbands know that their wives love them, but they need something just as much—respect. Without both these elements, a couple can get on a crazy cycle where the husband doesn’t feel respected, so he does not love, and the wife does not respect the husband because she does not feel loved.
- Every Woman’s Desire: A man’s guide to understanding biblical authority in a husband/wife relationship as well as keeping the purity of the husband’s heart.
- Your Money Counts: Money is often a source of marital problems, so we made a commitment to understand how to handle finances God’s way to help us make money a tool in our marriage rather than a stumbling block.
By no means are we experts or perfect in our marriage (every aspect is a work in progress), but these books have saved us from unnecessary heartaches and arguments as well as giving us tools to overcome obstacles and challenges together.
2 replies on “Our Marriage Library”
I wait every week to see what you guys post and love this week. I am going straight to the Library tomorrow and checking out Love & Respect. Something we really need right now. I miss getting to see you guys and hope that as our kids get older and more managable…we will get to visit more. Love you guys.
Thanks Kari! Ever since mom and dad’s bbq I’ve been thinking of all you guys, sad that I didn’t get to see you this summer. Maybe I’ll send out an email and see if something might work out.